Mission and Scope
TODO: This is your project home page. Answer these questions in
your own words to briefly summarize the project. Read the sample
answers, choose the one that is closest to your project, then edit
the text to describe your actual project. If you fill in the project proposal
, some of the same answers
may be used here.
- What business problem does this project address?
- There is a need for businesses to set up their
own on-line store as rapidly and easily as possible. Virtually
every business has customers that prefer to purchase on-line, but
few businesses have the expertise or time to create an e-commerce
site themselves. Custom-coded e-commerce sites also usually lack
the advanced features found on big shopping sites, and may contain
defects and security holes.
- Active investors need constant awareness of
market conditions and the state of their stock portfolio.
Decisions to trade stocks are based on company financial data,
company news, industry news, economic indicators, and simulation
models. It is difficult for people to gather and consider all of
the needed information when working under time pressure.
- What is the goal of this project?
- This project will produce an e-commerce website
engine that is widely reusable by small- to medium-sized businesses,
full featured, and easy to use and administer. Our customers will be
able to set up their own e-commerce site that looks like the
big, popular shopping sites.
- We will build a completely new stock trading
application with novel features to help traders make better
decisions. In addition to all the standard features that users
expect, we will add powerful visualization, simulation, and news
aggregation features. We expect that our application will become the
preferred trading platform for high-net-worth private U.S. investors
who trade more than ten different stocks per week.
- What is the scope of this project?
- We will build an e-commerce engine with a set of
features similar to those found on the most popular shopping sites.
Our shopping sites will scale up to fit the needs of active small
businesses with a few thousand concurrent shoppers.
- We will build a new client application that will
use existing back-end servers to execute trades and gather data from
several sources. The client will provide normal trading features
and emphasize three new feature areas: visualization, simulation,
and news aggregation.
- What development methodology is being used?
- We focus on up-front planning and then iterate
during in-house development. We emphasize design documents and use
them to tightly manage subcontractors.
- We use a few XP practices: continuous
integration, regression testing, and gradual refactoring. But, that
all leads up to a scheduled, major release that must satisfy the
- Now that we have a product in the field, we are
primarily customer-driven: our process focuses on controlled
responses to defects, enhancement requests, and customizations.
- See our software development
- Where should a new team member start?
- For more information, see the project
- Please address questions or comments to PERSON-NAME.
TODO: Briefly describe the status of this project. E.g., what phase
are you in? And, what is your next major milestone? Detailed
project status is written in the status
, not here.
We have completed our second internal release. We are currently working
on implementing more of the functionality described in our product
specification and fixing defects.
The next major milestone is a third internal release
with nearly complete functionality and a wider set of testers.
TIP: Internet Explorer users can print all documents from this page
by selecting the "Print linked documents" option in the IE Print